Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We can thank Bridget Jones for female excellence in universities

Isn't this a great cover?

I'm still blinking over this piece from the Guardian. I decided for this blog post to suitably rewrite the headline to highlight the apparent implications of what is being said. I have also given myself a pat on the back (not 'bat' as I was just typing - it's early and I haven't had enough coffee) for putting Bridget Jones's Diary on the Honours curriculum this year.

Check out that cover though! I love books that reproduce themselves on the cover - or, in a sense, construct themselves from the experience of the text. In this case, the text has become Bridget, looking suitably surprised by her predicament. At least, I hope that makes sense. It isn't even 7am. Academics, according to common folklore, don't function before midday. I need more coffee...

No comments: