Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Writing for children

I caught this comment by Neil Gaiman:

"I don't think about age groups when I write, although I think if I know I'm writing for Children I'll be a bit more ambitious, and think more about every word, because I know that they pay closer attention when they read than adults do."

The full interview transcript is here. Why do I love this comment? Because it stresses that writing for children isn't about 'dumbing down' or 'teaching'. Thankfully, that perception really is waning.

By the way, he has another great journal entry today. Take particular note of his comment about the science fiction genre and have a look at the video from the National Book Festival - I have some students who would be amused by the Rushdie appearance.

Inkdeath is finally out. I'm really looking forward to it, although... I wish I could have this edition.

No comments: