Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Those pesky author shots...

Jezebel reports on the issue of how female authors are photographed for their book jackets. We talked about this in class last year. We noted, particularly, the prevalence of 'beauty' shots of female authors of Middle Eastern descent, adding to the general exoticism of their work. I also pointed out my favourite example of an author shot, which I just located in the oddest place. It's of Amanda Foreman when she first published Georgiana. The latter is a work of history, so the decision to promote Foreman as an attractive author is even more startling, perhaps.

We did try to think of male authors who had been photographed in similar ways. We couldn't think of any. We were a little disappointed by that. If anyone can think of any, please let us know.

In the meantime, I have to produce a photo for a conference website. This is the first time I've encountered the request and it's making me a little nervous. I guess the old boots next to a pile of books shot won't do the trick?

No comments: