Sunday, June 21, 2009

Adults need guidance too...

I perked up this evening, seeing a piece in The Guardian by Alain de Botton. When I lived in the UK, I read all three of his early novels in quick succession. I've just bought my copy of The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work, which has a particularly beautiful dust jacket.
In the piece, he writes about how often people are concerned about the impact of advertising upon children, but how rarely they are concerned by the impact upon adults. It has an interesting parallel to literature. All too often, children's literature is awash with anxiety and apprehension, while few ponder the inherent dangers and delights of what adults read. Unless, of course, you're discussing chick lit. Or fantasy. It's worth thinking about.

Particularly for those of us always reading those heady, dangerous books.

No comments: