Monday, June 1, 2009

Finding the quote

I've just had the intense pleasure of finally locating a quote that I've been searching for. It's from a speech Neil Gaiman gave in Melbourne in 2008 and is from his poem, 'Boys and Girls Together,' talking of the princesses who give up their disguises and "gleam and shine in all their finery. Being princesses." It can be found in Kate Bernheimer's anthology of "men on fairy tales" called Brothers & Beasts. I haven't yet read it all, but I'm enticed by the snippets I've been snatching while finishing my Wrock paper (to be given at that Collaborations conference on Friday).

Yesterday in reading group I mentioned that I'd love to write about the Prince Charmings who do such inexplicable things as set off for castles that could contain ogres or sleeping princesses, who collect girls in glass coffins, who get bedazzled by a really pretty dress on their dancing partner. Maybe I should keep that under wraps? It would make a terrific book... shhh... you don't remember what you just read, you don't remember what you just read, you don't remember what you just read...

1 comment:

artificiallymythic said...

I'd love to know what you think of the reluctant Garion and the headstrong Ce'Nedra then. Not quite fairy tale, but based upon, none the less...

(and go on, buy the anthology).