Thursday, October 8, 2009

One of the most useful sites ever on the Web

There's a site on which authors pronounce their own names. It's here. It's excellent.

I'm notorious for mispronunciation. I've managed Goethe in a variety of ways. Yes, I know how it is pronounced, but if I glance at the sheet with the name written on it, I still manage to mispronounce it.

When I read Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men, I completely related to Tiffany. She reads the dictionary. She can use all the words correctly. But she's never heard the words. So she tends to pronounce them in odd ways.

I read a great deal as a child and teenager. I have not yet broken the habit of randomly pronouncing authorial names.

It's something I'm working on. I do make a point before lectures of checking on any name I haven't heard pronounced in a while. If I'm not 100% sure, you'll usually see that 'oh geez' expression on my face as I reluctantly pronounce it!

1 comment:

Liandatron said...

I love this site for the same reason!