Wednesday, March 10, 2010

William the Bloody on Shakespearean Sonnets

I've been sharing this link with a few friends and colleagues who have enjoyed it so much, I thought I ought to post it.

It's an interview with James Marsters (hence the William the Bloody in the subject line - apologies, I couldn't resist the obvious). In the interview, he speaks about performing Shakespeare's sonnets on stage and gives one of the best critiques of the sonnets I've read. I'd recommend reading the whole, particularly for the Lennon reference, but here's a snippet:

"Two-thirds of the sonnets are to a guy. And not in a subtle way, either. It’s right out there, “O, my beautiful man.” I cannot believe that no one told me about that. Once you understand that, and once you understand that the sonnets are really autobiographical, they become almost like punk rock. Because Shakespeare doesn’t come off very well in them. Shakespeare comes off like a mewling, wet little kitten."

(Part of me is now tempted to finish with "fifty-seven academics just punched the air," but it'd be more than fifty-seven in reality.)

Speaking of James Marsters, I'm toying with including a Buffy script in my Fairy Tale Traditions course. I'm thinking of "Gingerbread." Xander: "I'm still spinning on the whole fairy tales are real thing. I don't know about you, but I'm going to trade my cow for some beans." However, knowing the world of Buffy, that would be an awfully terrifying giant at the top of the beanstalk. Of course, it always was.

No comments: