Friday, May 14, 2010

Why Studying Fairy Tale is Awesome: A Seminar Paper

On June 1st, I'm giving a paper entitled 'Why Studying Fairy Tale is Awesome' as part of the English Lit. seminar series. It'll be on at midday in the ECPS library, level 7, Menzies Building, Clayton campus. Please do come along if you're interested in fairy tales - everyone is most welcome.

I'll be talking a bit about the field of fairy tale scholarship and the changes that are taking place in the field, including the impact of research into popular novels, comics and television, and then I'll give everyone a rundown of my own research. It'll be a little like those school presentations, 'what I did on holiday,' except I'll be talking about what I've been up to on research leave!

I was in two minds about the title - did it sound like I was trying to be 'too cool,' which can be incredibly painful? However, a random poll of my students reassured me that studying fairy tale is awesome and it should be stated.

6 comments:

titanium said...

would love to come, but I have an important revision lecture at one, how long are you planning on presenting for? or would it be ok if I snuck out at one o'clock?

Doc-in-Boots said...

It would be perfectly fine if you snuck out. I'll probably only speak for 40 minutes at most, in any case. The rest will be general discussion and questions.

silk4calde said...

I think the title is great! Studying fairy tales is awesome indeed. And new things like Willingham's _Fables_ make the field very interesting and fresh. I'll be there!

titanium said...

I really enjoyed the seminar! Thank you for publicising it on your blog where I could see it. :) (even though I was the only undergrad there)

Looking forward to studying fairy tale traditions next semester!

Doc-in-Boots said...

Thanks for coming along! I did recognise you there. The seminars tend to only be publicised for postgrads and staff, but I think it's good to encourage undergrads to join in too.

priya said...

Hi! I am Priya from India, a Ph.D.scholar. I am doing Ph D on Fairy Tales: A comparatsive study of Andersen's Fairy Tales and Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacob. I shall be grateful if you could kindly help me find useful related literature which I can study and quote in my thesis, if found suitable. Sorry for intruding on your valuable time. Thanks.