Thursday, July 22, 2010

Libraries Are Cool

At least, it looks like libraries might be, to quote the article title, "the next big pop culture wave" (I followed the links via boing boing). Linda Holmes produces a great article, here, about how in a greener, more geek-friendly world, libraries are on the cusp of becoming really popular again. And, actually, I agree with her. There's a world of good to be said about libraries.

The Monash libraries, for example, now stock the deluxe editions of Hellboy and you can borrow all of Neil Gaiman's audio books, a host of Buffy and film DVDs. We do have a number of very friendly, rather brilliant librarians on the ground who are helping us stock up on our favourite authors and multimedia. If you have any suggestions for them, just let me know. And don't forget to go and check out the library catalogues - you'll be surprised what's lurking there between the more dry scholarly hardbacks.

3 comments:

silk4calde said...

Heck, yes! Libraries are awesome! I've referred several people my library's Fables collection over the last few days.

Want to know something embarrassing? Until a couple of years ago it didn't even occur to me that I could actually be a librarian, even though I have always loved libraries. Then I watched Buffy. Oh, Giles, you're my hero...

Shirlaine said...

The library was my refuge during high school. I can't imagine where I'd be now if it wasn't there.

Coincidentally, a library is how I envision my ideal home to be...

titanium said...

the library at Monash has a nifty little "suggest a book" function which is open to both staff and students!

I love the Monash Librarians too, they are so friendly and helpful.