Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gratuitous Shoe Blog

I was admiring someone else's gratuitous shoe photo in my Twitter stream today and they were nice enough to direct me to the Rivers online shop to get myself a pair. Don't they look like fairy tale shoes?


And they're red, which, as anyone knows, is the key colour of fairy tale footwear. Many have pondered the significance of the red. Is it aristocratic? It's often associated with the nobility - Louis XIV delighted in high red heels. Is it sexual? It's often associated with female sexuality, in particular, and carries many a Freudian Slip-per (sorry, I groaned at that too). Or is it simply that there is something enticing about red shoes? Many friends confirm that wearing red shoes makes you happy and confident. And how many have read Andersen's 'The Red Shoes,' and yet come away wanting red shoes? Despite the fate of the red-shoe-loving heroine?

No comments: