Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blood in Fairy Tale

I'm going to be preoccupied with the presence of blood in fairy tales for the next couple of weeks. This may sound slightly macabre (or very macabre), but in truth, I'm actually a late addition to the Fairy Tales Re-imagined programme: scroll down to the end there.

One of the first things that occurred to me as I contemplated my panel was that while we often associate blood with violence in fairy tale, very often the lips or cheeks of a particular beauty will be associated with blood. I have something to say about this, but I'm saving it for the panel!

3 comments:

Zachary Kendal said...

That's fantastic! Sounds like a great opportunity, speaking on a panel on Fairy Tales at the ACMI! Congrats!

titanium said...

Also Little Red Riding hood and the association with menstruation and coming of age? Also of the end of virginity?

Husky said...

I was sooo annoyed that I was stuck in classes for it. I'm looking forward to introducing fairytale, graphic novels and maybe for the IB/VCE classes that elephant will rejoin the room!