Thursday, June 2, 2011

Diary Dates

I've just finished making up a calendar for the unit I'm teaching at Prato next month, Fairy Tale in Italy. I have those moments where I panic that I've not secured hotels for the right nights or flights for the right days. The unit itself booked out very quickly and there's quite a waiting list. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't run next year, but I'm going to try for the following year - 2013. I'm not even used to it being 2011, so writing '2013' is a little alarming.

I'm hoping the experience in Prato will be something like this:

Much Ado About Nothing, 1993

Meanwhile, closer to home, a good friend and colleague, Deb Waterhouse-Watson, and I will be giving our paper "Beyond Wicked Witches and Fairy Godmothers: Ageing and Gender in Recent Children's Fantasy" at Continuum 7, 11am Monday 13th June. It will be followed by a panel elsewhere at the convention, "Crones, Witches and Marginalised Power in Fairytales," featuring Catherynne M. Valente, the guest of honour. The old women aren't so marginalised on Monday 13th, obviously!

I've never been to Continuum, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about. I'm enjoying becoming involved in fan/industry conventions. It gets me out of the old ivory tower now and then. (I wish I did work in an ivory tower - the Menzies really isn't conducive to fairy tale thought and I haven't seen a single Prince try to scale its walls.)

No comments: