Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some fairy tale related, shameless self-promotion

Two quick things.


I'm sort of on iTunes now

As you might know, I have a fairy tale in The Voyage: Journeys in Creative Writing (Monash-Warwick Research Initiative 2010/2011). It's called 'The Cat Swindle' and here's a little snippet:

"
I turned and peered through the cheap glass window, streaked and smeared with grime. The shop’s display featured tiny slippers in rainbow shades of silk. They hung from a stolen tree branch by their ribbons. Arranged below the slippers, high heeled shoes of delicately tinted leather and shiny stiletto boots with laces and folded cuffs. Such amazing shoes for such a shabby shop, I thought. The Cat rose to her hind legs and rested her forepaws upon the window, leaving more smudges, and her excited breath misted the glass."

Here, too, are further links available now for downloading the anthology. There are also links to performances of other stories in the book.

Download Links

Silkworms Ink (Epub/Mobi/Pdf)

Barnes & Noble

Apple

Sony

Amazon


Video Links

The Voyage: David Morley and Chandani Lokuge Introduction
Professor Ed Byrne reading 'Airport delay':
Dr Chandani Lokuge reading 'Aubonne, Spring Day'
Jennifer Strauss reading 'Driving to Saturday's Rally for Refugees'
Dr Maryrose Casey reading 'Hanging Around'
Professor David Morley reading 'Goldcrests' and 'You were broken'
I'll be teaching fairy tales in Tuscany again in 2012

I'll be back at Prato in 2012. We just had the first information session on Wednesday. I showed a PowerPoint slide of my 'wall of gelati' as enticement. It wasn't till afterwards that I got to thinking... some students might have been wondering why I took photos of every gelato I bought. Simple reason? A friend, upon receiving a tweeted photo of the gelato I was eating, sighed 'I suppose you're going to send me photos of every gelato you have?' She might have known I would. It was funny. And hence, I have images of most of the gelati I've eaten in Italy in 2011. There, that doesn't sound nearly as obsessive as it may have looked!

I am looking forward to a second run at Fairy Tale in Italy. The first time around, I was new to the programme and learned a great deal about expectations and the peculiar circumstances of intensive teaching. This time around, I plan to take full advantage of all that experience.

And just a final note...

In our fairy tale reading group meeting this week, Bel and I mentioned Once Upon A Time, the new ABC show that has scored good ratings with its first episode. It does look like great fun! There's a recap on i09. I know it was very sad, but seeing Snow White try to kiss Prince Charming back to life? Marvelous. I also love the idea that our reality, so to speak, is 'horrible' in the words of the wicked stepmother. Although, I'm not 100% sure she's the stepmother here... I really need to see the show!

Incidentally, if you are interested in joining the fairy tale reading group or would like to know more about the reading groups I'm part of, just drop me a line. In fact, I may blog about them next.

No comments: