Monday, February 20, 2012

Today in Craft News

I usually check in on Craft at least a few times a week. Today was a good day.

I've taught Gaiman's Anansi Boys and as you may remember, Fat Charlie had some bad memories of President's Day. Too bad he hadn't seen these crafty ideas.

I then scrolled down and what did I see? A Frog Prince! I love his toes. That sounds a bit odd, I know, but if you go through to the pattern site, you'll see what I mean when you look at the detail. I've always loved the Frog Prince and had particular fun teaching it. It's a great example of the impact of retelling for fairy tales. Not only does the princess smash the frog against a wall (thus turning him into a handsome prince) in earlier versions, but she also spends rather a pleasant night with her new prince before they see to social niceties like marriage.

The princess's actions in these earlier versions are indicative of the violence utilised by fairy tale heroines when their freedoms are threatened by men. There is still a presumption that the fairy tale princess is a passive creature. If you go back far enough, you discover she's really not.

No comments: