Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Fairy Tale Salon

The Fairy Tale Salon last weekend was a success, I'm happy to report. The team did a fantastic job and our guests were universally charming and enthusiastic.

I really had very little to do other than figure out how to dress as Puss in Boots.





I came up with an ensemble based around my blue boots and quickly explained that before Perrault, Puss had been female (see Basile's 'Cagliuso'). Of course, she only got boots when she became male... but I wasn't about to let that deter me.

There's a wonderful write-up, along with photographs, of the event here on the Storytelling Australia (Victoria) blog. Jackie herself gave a fantastic performance of the rather bizarre tale of 'The Three Surgeons' from the Grimms. It has the whiff of urban legend about it. In fact, we were all enthralled by the storytelling! It's easy to forget about the power of telling stories when you're working at the computer, cups of coffee to hand. I'm hoping we can find more opportunities to merge the worlds of scholarship and storytelling.


We've also decided that all such events require music, cupcakes and spinning wheels!

I couldn't thank those who came along, participated and pitched in enough for making it such a memorable afternoon.

We're catching our breath for a few months, but you will soon hear about another, more traditionally academic event in the works. It goes by the name 'The Gender Games' and is scheduled for November. There'll be a CFP out soon.

But for now I have some catching up on housework... both actual, physical housework and writing about housework in fairy tales. I've just been researching Joliette of d'Aulnoy's 'The Good Little Mouse.' She grows up to be a turkey keeper and catches the eye of a wicked prince. She disdains his offer of marriage and a crown, preferring her beautiful turkeys to a future of corruption and vice. Fortunately, there's a coup d'├ętat and Joliette is installed as queen in her own right. It's one of my favourite tales.

No comments: