Thursday, August 16, 2012

Musicals!

Earlier this week, I went to the "Rodgers and Hammerstein: Understanding the Phenomenon" conference. This was the inaugural conference of the new Australian Centre for Music Theatre Research and Development, a really exciting step for those of us with a research interest in musicals. I was especially pleased to pop in as my PhD supervisor, Professor Peter Fitzpatrick, was one of the speakers. Peter was an amazing supervisor and I'm still grateful for everything he taught me and for his brilliant sense of humour. His paper was a wonderfully witty and insightful overview of the art of lyric writing.

I'm hoping to find a little time to re-engage with my earlier research interest in musicals. I was a bit of a musical theatre geek in high school and later when I lived in the UK. Alas, I can't really sing. My high school choir teacher suggested that I could lip synch! So eventually I discovered I could funnel my interest into academia. My own PhD was largely concerned with the adaptation of Disney animation to the stage and I also published some work on French and Austrian musicals. And a review of We Will Rock You, which I published in theatre journal to my own amusement!

Before I went to Prato this year, I 'stole' a couple of days in London to catch up with old friends and see some theatre. I finally went to the Globe and it was an amazing experience I recommend. I saw Henry V and there's something magic about seeing a Shakespeare play in the kind of theatre he was most familiar with! I'd always planned to be a groundling, but to be honest, after a day on my feet, I'm glad I decided to sit in the stalls. The groundlings have to stand throughout the performance! Jamie Parker was a great Henry V and distracted me from wondering if the Carrionites were going to show up.

I also really loved the gates to the Globe.



I finally saw Wicked.


I'm not sure who the random man in my photo is! He looks a bit like Buddy Holly. Back to the story, I delayed seeing the show and now I have no idea why. I had heard just a little of the Broadway cast recording and it was a bit brash. I thoroughly enjoyed the London production, though. The leads were incredible and can I just say how fantastic it is to see a show where the two leads are women?






I didn't actually surprise anyone by admitting I favoured Glinda. She gets to travel by bubble and wear a tiara. That was a foregone conclusion.

For a change of pace, I also saw Sweeney Todd. Very, very dark. Michael Ball surprised me. I hadn't quite expected him in that role! It's a good production and Imelda Staunton is wonderfully horrible and sympathetic. It's not personally my favourite Sondheim. I love Into the Woods, which I'm teaching later this semester, Sunday in the Park with George and Company best.


It felt good to be catching up on musicals, though, and I hope that I never lapse again.



1 comment:

Michelle Smith said...

Imagine "Academia: The Musical". Now that would be one to avoid.

Funny how we let the things we love the most slip to the side. I love rediscovering them, though- I'm on an Oz kick at the moment.