Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sneak Peek ATS3300 Fantasy Literature

The first unit I taught as a full time staff member of Monash University was 'Introduction to Fantasy Narratives.' It was a first year unit. It was large. But I was always bothered that there was an 'introduction' and nothing more. We set out to change that.

ATS2915 Roots of Fantasy ran earlier this year, in which early works and influential works of fantasy were studied, and next year I'm taking the helm of ATS3300 Fantasy Literature, in which we look at what's happened in the genre since.

I'm just finalising the text list, but we have authors (in no particular order): J.R.R Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, Diana Wynne Jones, Robin Hobb, Cory Doctorow, Phil & Kaja Foglio, Anne McCaffrey, Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett. It wasn't the easiest list to settle upon, but I'm hoping it'll be an enjoyable semester.

No comments: