Friday, June 14, 2013

Don't Be Afraid of the Stacks

Today I popped into the library to pick up a couple of books. I came out with six. Spending time among the stacks is never a bad thing. Among the books that caught my eye, The Culture Sewing: Gender Consumption and Home Dressmaking, which just happens to have a chapter that is beyond perfect for an argument I'm making in my current research project. The thing is, I hadn't come across it in my research to date. My keyword searches hadn't located it. It hadn't stood out in any articles or their bibliographies. However, there it was on the shelf near Thinking Through the Skin, which I'd had on my book list. My point is, sometimes research is simply about spending time in the library, roaming the shelves and seeing what pops.

On a light note, it was a bit wet, so I borrowed a conference bag from the small pile in my office, left over from Tights and Tiaras. I somehow don't think I'll be returning it.






On the bright side, he didn't eat my homework.

No comments: